[darcs-devel] [issue2669] cant add linux kernel sources

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Sat Dec 12 16:06:08 UTC 2020

A few more experiments show that in practice xargs limits the number of
arguments to some value below 5000 anyway (so that the full command line
doesn't become too long). This means that the simplest method that also
results in the least amount of patches is

  git ls-files | xargs ../record_bunch

Or, if you have a tar ball, do a

  find . -type f > FILES

first (before the darcs init) and then use

  cat FILES | xargs ../record_bunch

(after adapting the boring file and recording the directories as
explained previously). This gives me a repo with 22 patches and the
above command takes ~ 6 minutes to complete. My slightly revised
record_bunch "script" now reads:

  darcs record -qlam "add $1 ... ($# files)" "$@" --skip-long-comment