[darcs-devel] [patch2133] use hires timestamps for the index

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Sun Dec 27 08:32:37 UTC 2020

> What was the reason for reordering the options in Amend and Record?

This is an artefact of these commands using configuration records: the
order of the fields in the record matters. This is bad and one of the
reasons I decided to revert amend and record back to using [DarcsFlag],
see patch2143.

> As an aside the style of using `withStdOpts` infix confused me for a bit
> because I thought it was just some kind of simple combining operation,
> not something that also added the standard options.

Right. This was a bad idea. In new code or when I change code containing
withStdOpts I nowadays tend to use it prefix. I would not be opposed to
changing it to prefix everywhere.

>>   This requires building against a patched unix-compat, since the pull request
>>   is still pending.
>
> This will be something of a pain even for local development, as it'll
> get rebuilt whenever the local cabal config changes. So we should figure
> out some long-term solution fairly quickly.

IME the pain is negligable, compiling unix-compat is very fast (there is
no complicated Haskell stuff inside). Nevertheless, I fully agree that
depending on patched versions of external libraries is not a good
long-term solution!

You may remember that I had a patch that drops the dependency and
instead copy/pastes the stuff we need to our win32/ subtree. We briefly
discussed this on IRC and you expressed reservations about the idea
(IIRC). I mention it because that /would/ be a viable long-term
solution, though perhaps undesirable for other reasons.