[darcs-devel] [patch2134] assorted mostly trivial cleanups

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Dec 27 13:34:30 UTC 2020

On 27/12/2020 09:22, Ben Franksen wrote:

>>>   * tests/network/sshlib: use a dir local to our test dir as REMOTE_DIR
>>>
>>>   This avoids filling up /tmp and improves repeatability.
>>
>> OK, so this is safe because the ssh test always connects to
>> $(whoami)@localhost?
>
> Not sure I understand the question. Why would it be safer or less safe
> to move the "remote" directory somewhere else?

If we were connecting to some different machine, then /tmp is likely to
always exist whereas whatever our local path is probably wouldn't exist
remotely. Now I think about it more, it's obviously quite unlikely that
our tests would be sshing to some random other machine. But I didn't
realise that when reading the patch :-)

Ganesh