[darcs-devel] [patch1986] tests: replace withSingle with withState... (and 1 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Fri Feb 14 12:19:05 UTC 2020

On 14/02/2020 09:08, Ben Franksen wrote:

> My greatest reservation at the moment is that I am not sure your
> arbitraryMergeableSequence is actually able to generate conflict
> /resolutions/ i.e. that it generates new patches that possibly depend on
> conflicts i.e. /after/ merging. This is of utmost importance because
> otherwise we miss out on a whole class of possible scenarios.

It should do. I carefully wrote it to preserve the existing behaviour of
arbitraryMergedSequence:

https://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-screened/patch/ad0998a95bf7c7e09b29f5a1d7397ffb92de5e64

We can still get a conflict resolution by generating a parallel sequence
followed by a single patch. It would be expressed by something like
SeqMS (ParMS ps1 ps2) p; if ps1 and ps2 conflict then p can be a
resolution if it touches the right thing.

The difference is that after generating the merged patch and using it to
determine the returned repo state, we store the unmerged patch in the
data structure, and reconstruct the merged one on-demand.