[darcs-devel] [patch1993] use more efficient filename format for V3

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Mon Feb 17 08:49:59 UTC 2020

New submission from Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>:

This is mostly for discussion at this time. I did some profiling to find out
why certain darcs commands take quite a long time before they present a
patch. For instance, in screened, 'echo nn | darcs rollback GNUmakefile'
takes a few seconds to run. This is basically an algorithmic problem, not
related to low-level parsing efficiency. However, I found that after
eliminating some of the algorithmic problems, it appears that the white
space decoding is responsible for more than half of the runtime.

1 patch for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

patch 26a286fe0186affba09e79c52e5b281418d41cc5
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sat Feb 15 20:30:32 CET 2020
  * use more efficient filename format for V3

  It now prefixes each filename with its length in bytes and then stores the
  raw byte string. This avoids any need for encoding white space. The output
  of darcs commands is not affected except when the infamous
  --machine-readable option is in effect.

files: patch-preview.txt, unnamed, use-more-efficient-filename-format-for-v3.dpatch
messages: 21849
nosy: bf
status: needs-screening
title: use more efficient filename format for V3