[darcs-devel] status of darcsden repo

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Feb 19 23:27:12 UTC 2020

On 19/02/2020 09:30, Ben Franksen wrote:

> I didn't mean "not our business" in the sense of "it is somebody else's
> problem". I rather meant that darcsden contains lots of code that has
> nothing to do with darcs per se.

I think there's a spectrum here. For example the basic UI around
patches, trees etc is quite similar in function to the command-line
interface. On the other hand there's a bunch of other stuff for user
management etc that's quite far away.

> Besides, I don't feel confident to review patches to darcsden. I don't
> understand most of the code in darcsden either.
>
> Most importantly we need an easy(!) way to test darcsden.

Both good points, though given the same set of contributors we still
have the problem no matter where the code is.

> I think that concentrating on a better interface between darcsden and
> darcs, including a better internal separation between the actual UI and
> the core, would greatly benefit code quality in darcs itself. It
> certainly means more immediate work but it will more than pay off in the
> long run.

Perhaps. Though having an API also introduces maintenance costs too.

Ganesh