[darcs-devel] [patch1979] better shrinking for patches

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Mon Feb 24 06:58:12 UTC 2020

Ganesh, sorry for aksing these stupid questions. When I looked at the
first bundle where you introduce the Shrinkable class I must have
completely missed its definition in D.T.P.A.Shrink which is well documented.

I have taken a closer look at that now. Yes the implementation for
sequences and pairs is non-trivial. But since it is based on the
instances for the components, it still doesn't do anything. Yet. This is
not crititcism, I just want to understand which part of the code is
actually actively shrinking things and which is mere infrastructure for
future (or pending) improvements.

Regarding the implementations for pairs and FL. I have looked (again) at
the documentation for the shrink method in QC. It says the returned list
should start with the most aggressive shrinks, suggesting that QC stops
at the first element of the list that fails the property under test. For
sequences this suggests to me that we should put (Sealed/FlippedSeal
NilFL) at the head of the result for both shrinkAtStart and shrinkAtEnd.