[darcs-devel] [patch1979] better shrinking for patches

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Fri Feb 28 13:30:31 UTC 2020

On 28/02/2020 09:48, Ben Franksen wrote:

> Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> added the comment:
>
>>   * tests: always use prim patches for generating/shrinking
>
> This one depends on patches in other bundles. It would have been better
> if you had sent this follow-up as a separate bundle.
>
> I'll mark as accepted-pending-tests until I reviewed the other stuff.

I guess this is a question of workflow/logical grouping that it'd be
helpful for us to agree on.

I like to keep a single logical group of patches in a single ticket
(patchXXXX) on the patch tracker, which I think is what you mean by
bundle here.

If there are followups that belong in the same review, I put them in the
same ticket because then the review can be accepted as a single entity
that takes into account both the initial patches and the followups.

If this means we end up with patches/dependencies interleaved with other
patches in screened, I don't see this as a problem. Once something is
reviewed, I just move it to "accepted-pending-tests", but might not push
it to reviewed immediately. Every so often, I sweep up any unblocked
accepted-pending-tests patches, check that they build and the tests
pass, and push them to reviewed. I might also do this with parts of a
review bundle after checking that the intermediate state wouldn't be
fundamentally broken in some subtle way.

I actually found it a bit confusing when you followed up on a review in
another bundle recently because I then had to keep track of the
relationship between the two, though it wasn't much of a big deal. I'm
ok with doing it that way consistently if it works a lot better for you.