[darcs-devel] [patch1952] Added interactive flag to diff

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 21 13:31:37 UTC 2020

[damn, I forgot that using the text edit widget on the tracker messes up
the formatting, sending again via email]

Hi raichoo

thanks for the patch(es). It took me a while to figure out what the
problem is that you are fixing here, it would have helped to state that
more clearly.

The problem is that external diff programs that run in the terminal
instead of a separate window (like vimdiff or in fact the plain diff)
use stdin and stdout to perform drawing and receiving user input; they
don't work when we redirect stdin/stdout to newly created handles (as
execPipeIgnoreError does).

Now to the fix: I agree that using execInteractive is the right thing,
as this is what we use when we execute an editor, too. I don't think we
need a new flag, though. It should be possible to use execInteractive in
all cases without anything breaking. For instance, I am using darcs with
DARCS_EDITOR set to a GUI editor and that works just fine, so I don't
see a reason why e.g. meld should not.