[darcs-devel] [patch1951] resolve 2616: Unbreak with base-4.13 — `Mon

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Jan 25 11:13:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply.

On 06/01/2020 09:35, Matthew Farkas-Dyck wrote:
> On 31/12/2019, Ganesh Sittampalam <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:
>> According to the comments in issue2616, I thought MonadFail was
>> already supported in darcs 2.14.2 when using base 4.12. Is more
>> fixing needed for base 4.13?
>
> I think so. Which patch was meant to resolve issue 2616 earlier? I'll
> try to confirm.

There were a few because I went through the MonadFail issues one by one.
I think if you have all the patches up to "Support GHC 8.6/base 4.12" it
should be ok.

Looking at https://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-2.14/changes I think it's
these ones:

- PatchCheck tests: introduce newtype to implement MonadFail
- change failable pattern in partiallyUpdateTree to error
- replace failable pattern in existsAnycase with error
- PrimV1 tests: refactor a bit to avoid failable patterns in do-block
- RepoModel tests: replace Either with an explicit failure type

>> Also I think something has gone a bit wrong with the encoding during
>> send. Could you attach the .dpatch file directly in roundup? BTW if
>> you amend the patch to say "resolve issue2616" it will be picked up
>> automatically.
>
> Enclosed

I'm having some trouble even getting darcs as far as building with GHC
8.8 due to other dependencies, once I have those sorted out I'll take a
proper look.

Cheers,

Ganesh