[darcs-devel] [patch1961] remove darcs --exact-version

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Mon Jan 27 06:57:26 UTC 2020

On 26/01/2020 22:14, Ben Franksen wrote:

>> Your patch would indeed also achieve the two most important goals
>> of my patch. But I think I'd still rather be rid of Setup.hs
>> completely than to keep --exact-version. Still, we could revisit
>> that if and when we are able to remove the manpage generation.
>
> Note that with the removal of the sdist hooks and the endianness stuff,
> our custom Setup has become a lot simpler.

Any custom Setup.hs makes building a bit more complicated as
dependencies on Cabal-the-library have to be resolved, and I've
certainly had bad experiences with it.

> BTW, I see now that cabal sdist is used when we make a release to create
> the hackage upload. I think this is okay, as we don't want to upload
> intermediate versions, only cleanly tagged released ones.

Right, I think the primary use of --exact-version is for development
builds. Though it does also capture the exact versions of underlying
libraries. Personally I don't think I've ever actually made use of the
information.

Anyway, let's go with your patch and I can always re-advocate for
complete removal if and when there is a solution to the manpage problem.