[darcs-devel] my problems with tests that run ssh/curl

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Jul 12 08:45:09 UTC 2020

Am 12.07.20 um 03:11 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
> As I mentioned in a different thread a while ago, I currently have
> problems running the tests on Windows.
>
> The problem is with a tool called "SentryBay" that I have to run to be
> able to work from home. It injects some low level driver called
> epinject.sys into every process that seems to cause network-using tools
> in the mingw stack to just lock up eating CPU when run.
>
> I will try to get this reported and fixed but it's likely to be a slow
> process, and in the meantime the only way I can get around it is to
> reboot. I've had the problem for ~1 year but of course in the past few
> months it's had much more impact.

Oh my goodness. "...unique patented technologies...". Sounds pretty bad!

> It turns out that quite a few of our non-network tests nevertheless do
> run commands like ssh and curl for various reasons. One example is
> issue2545_command-execution-via-ssh-uri which is fairly obvious but
> there are several others.
>
> I was vaguely wondering about just making those tests into "network"
> tests that I then wouldn't run by default. It's not a great solution as
> the tests don't generally genuinely rely on the network.

By all means, go ahead and move them to the network folder. Even if they
don't rely on the network proper, they still use network-related
functionality. (I usually run all tests anyway so it doesn't matter much
to me whether they are network tests or not.)

While we're at it, we could also move the three network related shell
functions (serve_http, finish_http, and check_remote_http) into a
separate tests/network/httplib, to discourage us from using them in
normal test scripts.

Cheers
Ben