[darcs-devel] darcs 2.16 TODOs

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Jul 19 20:39:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

An update on 2.16 planning. I've removed the items that are now dealt with.

>> - Rename 'new-style-rebase-in-progress' to something else
>> (rebase-in-progress-2.16?)
>
> Sigh. I really wish we could dispense with this format alltogether but i
> guess there is no other way to make older darcs versions fail here.
>
> "rebase-in-progress-2.16" is okay. Can we keep support for
> "new-style-rebase-in-progress" as a (read-only) alias, at least until
> darcs-3.0? Or is that too much hassle?

I think that's fine. This still needs doing though.

>> - Go through the outstanding review backlog

I'm doing this now, as you'll have seen, particularly now that I've got
back to a just about ok state with the tests.

I still don't have a lot of free time to keep up so if new patches keep
appearing intended for 2.16 it might keep slipping or the patches would
have to go in unreviewed.

>> - document "darcs-3" format appropriately so that people don't use it by
>> mistake
>
> It's good you thought about that one, I agree this is important. But
> perhaps we should make this change (only) on branch-2.16?

I think it should happen on the trunk. That way we have to make an
explicit decision to make darcs-3 format visible and it won't slip into
2.18 by mistake if still not finalised then.

Cheers,

Ganesh