[darcs-devel] [patch2062] add tests for URL/path classification functions

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jul 21 21:18:25 UTC 2020

I did a bit of research and it appears that ':' is indeed not a valid
character in filenames on Windows.

> [...] then the fix for issue2645 cannot work on Windows. This
> calls the whole idea into question: if such a path is invalid on
> Windows, then allowing them on a Posix system creates yet another
> incompatibility when exchanging patches between repos residing on
> different systems.

Let me take this back, at least with regard the conclusion. This whole
thing is not about paths /inside/ a repo, but rather about paths /to/ a
repo. Besides, there are quite a lot more filename restrictions on
Windows, compared to Linux. There are even filenames consisting only of
alphabetic ASCII characters that are forbidden because they are reserved
for special things like IO ports.

My conclusion is that the text cases need to be fixed, while the patch
is fine.