[darcs-devel] [patch2072] add CHANGELOG entry for 2.16

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jul 30 11:52:32 UTC 2020

>> +    largely based on the pioneering work of Ian Lynnagh for 'camp'.
>
> Spelling mistake - should be "Lynagh"

Will fix. (I can never remember how this name is spelled.)

>> This means
>> +    that if you started a rebase with darcs < 2.16, then you cannot use
>> +    darcs-2.16 with that repo; the only exception is the new 'darcs rebase
>> +    upgrade' command that upgrades the suspended patches to the new format.
>
> I think this is phrased in a slightly confusing way as it first implies
> you can't do anything and then corrects that. How about something like
> this? :
>
> "This means that if you have a rebase in progress started with darcs <
> 2.16, you will first need to use the new 'darcs rebase upgrade' command
> to upgrade the suspended patches to the new format."

Yes, that's much better.

>> +    * fix lots of wrong uses of 'error': it was often used to signal that a
>> +      command should fail when we are not in IO or a monad layered over IO.
>> +      In these situations we now throw a UserError or a special exception
>> +      type. This results in a normal command failure with an error message.
>> +      The error function is reserved to internal errors i.e. bugs in darcs.
>
> This feels a bit code-focused. Perhaps something like this? :
>
> "Reworked internal failure handling so we can clearly distinguish
> between normal command failures and internal errors, i.e bugs, in darcs."

Again, agreed this is better.

I will combine this with the two misc change items

    * add a top-level error handler (to add a message that this is a bug
      in darcs and please report it and where)
    * change the email address for bug reports to bugs at darcs.net

into a new top level item.