[darcs-devel] [issue2445] internal error if suspended patch is pulled into repository again

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Fri Jul 31 09:08:49 UTC 2020

[slightly reordered your replies]

> Looking at my previous draft, it doesn't seem to push a rename
> between the old and new names at suspend time. Thinking about it
> afresh now, it (a) seems obvious that we must do that

Yes, definitely.

> and (b) I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.
>
> I don't think we absolutely need to avoid double suspends
> completely,

You are right. A deep rename is only necessary if what follows the
renamed patch can have conflictors in them. That was only the case
with the other two rebase variants, whereas our chosen variant contains
only prims.

This makes the idea of renaming patches immediately on suspend feasible.
I very much prefer this solution over any ad-hoc changes to the commute
or force-commute rules.

> I'll [..] also have a think about your DelName idea.

I think that idea is obsolete if we rename on suspend.

> but
> they will make a bit of a mess with fixups/conflicts. But I can imagine
> cases where you've messed up the suspended patch so badly you want a
> fresh copy, so I would like to avoid doing something special that could
> sometimes get in the way.

Not sure I understand this remark. Fresh copy?

BTW, you can always obliterate or inject to clean up the rebase state.

I have an extended version of tests/rebase-repull.sh that tests this
issue. I can send it as a draft if you are interested.