[darcs-devel] [issue2539] export, tags, and optimize reorder

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Mon Jun 22 05:49:11 UTC 2020

Independent of the issues with convert export (which has lots of
problems), I think something akin to a "deep" 'optimize reorder'
command could be useful. Currently, 'optimize reorder' merely
reorders patches so that the latest tag becomes clean (if possible,
that is, without making any earlier clean tags unclean).

This is not completely trivial to design. As noted by the OP, in
general not all tags can be made clean: if tags were recorded in
different branches, then neither may depend on the other. So we need
a metric to decide which one comes first (and thus can be made clean)
and which one comes later (and therefore must remain unclean). What
exactly do we want to minimize here?