[darcs-devel] ssh release needed (Re: status of darcsden repo)

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon Jun 29 20:56:35 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Am 28.06.20 um 22:45 schrieb Simon Michael:
> >> I feel the .project file has been very useful. For one thing, it
> >> tells cabal to use my local patched deps. How does your command do
> >> that ?
>
> Cabal does that automatically.
>
> From
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/nix-local-build.html#configuring-builds-with-cabal-project
>
> optional-packages:
> Default value:	./*/*.cabal
>
> So I check out the projects I need to fiddle with directly into the
> source tree of darcsden and cabal picks them up just fine.

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware. This is non-obvious but seems quite handy.

It appears to have changed to Default: Empty now though: https://cabal.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cabal-project.html#cfg-field-optional-packages, Default value: Empty.

(https://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide is quite out of date, cf https://github.com/haskell/cabal-website/issues/8. Perhaps it corresponds to cabal-install 3.0.0.0, I don't know.)

> I can't tell you why but the cabal project file does not work for me. I
> really don't want to spend any time finding out why. So when I say I can
> compile darcsden with settings xyz, then I mean with cabal.project removed.

It probably needed an optional-packages line to replicate the default. But I have removed it based on your input.

I think I have pulled all from your darcsden-darcs-2.14 for the moment, except for ghc 8.6-related changes which I'll come back to when things have settled.

Best,
Simon