[darcs-devel] [patch2008] introduce new rebase format (and 2 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Tue Mar 3 06:44:05 UTC 2020

New submission from Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>:

Not for screened yet but I'd like some comments on the approach.

This is for maintaining backwards compatibility when I change
the rebase format again. As we discussed the new format is called
"darcs-2.16". Although I wonder if we might not call the new darcs
release 3.0, given V3 patches?

The code for dealing with different formats is spread around a
bit and would benefit from a bit more centralising, but I
couldn't summon up the energy to do that. But I am trying
to put the patch code for old rebase formats in a standard
place, namely Darcs.Patch.Rebase.Legacy.XXX

3 patches for repository darcs-unstable at darcs.net:screened:

patch e53634631290053be32cd48eee2684bc11ec31b0
Author: Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
Date:   Mon Mar  2 22:21:22 GMT 2020
  * introduce new rebase format

  The new rebase format is named rebase-2.16 on the assumption that
  it will be the one used in Darcs 2.16.

  The "new-style" format is now legacy, but still supported for
  upgrades so that repositories created during the 2.16 development
  cycle can be rescued.

  As of this patch, darcs-2.16 rebases are exactly the same format
  as new-style, but this will change without preserving backwards
  compatibility.

patch 861ec4861fd46aad1f2d0959c0ceebcc5aab687d
Author: Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
Date:   Mon Mar  2 22:45:12 GMT 2020
  * introduce shim for new-style rebase

  This is just a newtype wrapper for now but will evolve
  to contain more of the existing code as that gets refactored.

patch 744374c51edcbbc11779c056dca40a11d8f396b0