[darcs-devel] rebase squash

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri May 15 15:44:10 UTC 2020

Am 15.05.20 um 13:10 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
> On 15/05/2020 09:27, Ben Franksen wrote:
>>> then yes, we can tell if they have conflicts simply by
>>> doing what unsuspend would do.
>>>
>>> But of course this brings us back to what I think was one of your
>>> motivations for rebase squash: that suspending+unsuspending patches
>>> produces conflicts we'd rather it didn't.
>>
>> Exactly!
>>
>> And just now I had an idea that could explain why this (still) happens.
>
>> My theory is that this is caused by V2 Duplicates.
>
> Sorry, should have mentioned this up front as I did already think about
> that: I also get failures with V3, though they don't necessarily look
> the same as the V2 ones. You can probably generate them yourself by
> running the test I attached in my last email, otherwise I'll analyse and
> write up what I found as soon as I have time.

I have run your test. Every time a test fails I get an exception from
the shrinker:

RepoPatchV3:
  using V2.Prim wrapper for Prim.V1:
    Rebase patches:
      suspending preserves conflicts: [Failed]
*** Failed! Exception while generating shrink-list: 'user error (Error
renaming: destination AnchoredPath [Name {unName = "a"}] exists.)'
(after 880 tests and 21 shrinks):