[darcs-devel] [patch2153] resolve issue2672 and related

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Sun Feb 21 10:23:38 UTC 2021

New submission from Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>:

5 patches for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

patch 98f5af0b26825b607402ce2f4ad280504b604059
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sat Dec 26 19:47:09 CET 2020
  * remove a redundant call to nub

patch f23b9cf168fc84cc4b9d8b81493f76ee377cb7da
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Tue Dec 22 15:02:36 CET 2020
  * make sure repoLocation is an absolute or remote path

  The mkRepo constructor now takes an AbsoluteOrRemotePath instead of a
  String.

patch 85eb660cd2b5ea3666e0cadc41fdb067ceb14a69
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Tue Jan  5 12:06:58 CET 2021
  * remove redundant readProblem check in cloneRepository

  We have just called identifyRepositoryFor which check for transferProblem
  which in turn includes the readProblem check.

patch 7940ff17b2214fa9fc0828ae049e1bb070acaeb1
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sun Dec 27 21:27:11 CET 2020
  * resolve issue2672: extraneous "repo:." entries in _darcs/prefs/sources

  The fix changes the second argument of getCaches from String to Maybe
  AbsoluteOrRemotePath. The implementation of getCaches makes it pretty clear
  that its second parameter is supposed to be the location of a "remote" repo
  (something different from "."). Indeed, getCaches /always/ evaluates the
  local sources file under ".", in addition to the one under the url we pass
  it. Passing "." as the second parameter is responsible for creating the
  unwanted extraneous cache entries. This explains the Maybe. Using
  AbsoluteOrRemotePath instead of String serves to ensure that cache entries
  cannot be relative paths.

  This change makes the network/lazy-clone test fail. This is not a bug but an
  overspecification in the test. This is fixed in another patch together with
  an explanation of why exactly the test fails.

patch 29a64db7f50f073a7fdd2fcedafb614c515b5756
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sun Jan 10 11:18:31 CET 2021
  * fix overspecification in network/lazy-clone

  This test succeeded only because of issue2672. Indeed, the presence of the
  bogus (Cache Repo NotWritable ".") entry means that this source will be used
  when we speculate on patches (instead of the actual remote repo), which
  effectively disables speculating. With issue2672 fixed, speculating on patch
  files now works, however it seems that we speculate on too many patches (on
  my computer /all/ patches are now downloaded). The reason for this
  unexpected behavior is that the tag in question is not clean in the source
  repo (unpacked from tests/data/tabular.tgz), which means we speculate on
  patches that we don't actually need. To get more predictable results here, I
  made all tags clean (so each tag gets its own inventory). This now results
  in downloading exactly the number of patches after the tag (42, as many as
  we have to unapply), so the number of "unavailable" patches is now 33=75-42
  as expected (75 being the total number of patches).

files: patch-preview.txt, remove-a-redundant-call-to-nub.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 22635
nosy: bf
status: needs-screening
title: resolve issue2672 and related