[darcs-devel] [issue2673] clone: inconsistencies in destination dir (put vs. get)

Gian Piero Carrubba bugs at darcs.net
Sat Jan 23 21:24:18 UTC 2021

Gian Piero Carrubba <gpiero at rm-rf.it> added the comment:

* [Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 06:21:10PM +0000] Ben Franksen:
>> $ darcs clone localhost.:$(pwd)/R remote-local
>
>What does the single "."after the "localhost" mean?

 From a DNS resolver's point of view it denotes the root domain, so the
resolver knows it is a fully qualified domain name (e.g.: the real fqdn
for 'www.darcs.net' is 'www.darcs.net.', the trailing dot is just
usually omitted and silently granted for).
 From SSH's point of view, as I use a few Canonical* options in my
configuration, in conjunction with CanonicalizeMaxDots=0 it means: do
not canonicalize the provided hostname.
So you can just consider 'localhost.' equivalent to 'localhost' for the
general case.