[darcs-devel] [patch2161] resolve issue2674 (and a few more)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue May 11 07:55:53 UTC 2021

>>> Do we really care about this test working before the fix for issue2674?
>>> The approach seems a bit convoluted.
>>
>> It is, but I wanted to make sure this is covered because of the concerns
>> you raised on #darcs when we first discussed this. This test gives
>> justification (in addition to the theoretical considerations) that we
>> can really drop the broken move changes from existing patches without
>> breaking anything, even if they are burried deep inside a repo's history.
>
> I'm still a bit confused about why the script is needed. Why not just
> use the tarball all the time?

Ah, okay, now I understand your question.

Well, at first this was to help me develop the test repo with the broken
move changes. It is really helpful to be able to make changes to the
test repo and then getting the tar ball re-created automatically. For
that to work, the test had to work before and after the fix to issue2674.

Now that things have settled and I am no longer making changes to the
test repo, I could simplify it to always use the tar ball. But then I
found that keeping the creation script in there is nice documentation.
Wouldn't it be quite difficult to understand the test script if you had
no idea which patches the test repo contains?

>> If we agree that the changes in this bundle are correct so far, then the
>> next question is how much of that to include in a new patch release 3.16.4.
>
> I agree that the changes are correct. I don't feel too strongly about
> hwo much to include, it could just be all of it.

I tend to agree. Repairing broken moves is better than silently ignoring
them. However, repair only works on a single repo. What about e.g. repos
hosted on hub.darcs.net? Do we have to add a repair button to the
darcsden UI? Or should we ask Simon (CC'd) to run a repair over all
hosted repos?