[darcs-devel] trackdown-bisect test failure on branch-2.16

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun May 16 13:58:11 UTC 2021

Am 16.05.21 um 15:13 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
> On 16/05/2021 13:41, Ben Franksen wrote:
>
>> I got this when running ./release/release.sh on (my) branch-2.16
>> (tagged, and with an extra patch to increase "Cabal-version : 2.4" in
>> the darcs.cabal, using ghc-8.2.2 and cabal-install-3.2.0.0 ):
>

>> | ghc -o trackdown-bisect-helper $TESTBIN/trackdown-bisect-helper.hs
>> | + ghc -o trackdown-bisect-helper
>> /tmp/darcs-2.16.4/tests/bin/trackdown-bisect-helper.hs
>> | /usr/bin/ld.gold: error:
>> /tmp/darcs-2.16.4/tests/bin/trackdown-bisect-helper.o: file is empty
>> | /tmp/ghc24769_0/ghc_5.o:ghc_4.c:function main: error: undefined
>> reference to 'ZCMain_main_closure'
>> | collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>> | `gcc' failed in phase `Linker'. (Exit code: 1)
>
> Is it reproducible? I see occasional but intermittent errors like that
> when building darcs itself, if they get stuck I typically just blow away
> dist-newstyle and start again. Of course here blowing away the tree
> isn't going to help, but maybe it was a one-off.

Definitely a one-off.

> The other thing is that I notice you are using ld.gold, I don't know if
> that might be triggering any problems.

Seems to be the default in ubuntu-18.04, at least I can't remember
installing a special linker. And "file is empty" would probably fail
with any other linker, too.

I think this is because of the way it gets compiled in the test script
i.e. with

ghc -o trackdown-bisect-helper $TESTBIN/trackdown-bisect-helper.hs

ghc is creating the .o and .hi files in the same location as the .hs, so
this can't properly work when running tests in parallel. Will send a fix.

Cheers
Ben
--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered, than answers that
cannot be questioned.  -- Richard Feynman