[darcs-users] Re: 0.9.12 is out!

Andres Loeh andres at cs.uu.nl
Fri Aug 1 09:54:58 UTC 2003

> David Roundy writes:
>
>  > you get an error if use -optc with any flag that is
>  > recognized by ghc itself.
>
> Are you certain about this? I have used the patch I pushed
> moments ago with a variety of $CFLAGS settings -- including '-O'
> and friends -- and I didn't get any errors with ghc 5.04.3.
>
> As far as I can tell, just prefixing all flags in $CFLAGS with
> '-optc' works just fine.

That's my experience, too. However, I've heard from someone else
that he had problems with a "-O3" in CFLAGS. And I discovered that
there are subtle differences in the handling of "-optc" between
ghc-5.04.3 and ghc-6.0. For instance, in 5.04.3, this works for
me:

-optc"-march=pentium -O3 -pipe"

It does not work with ghc-6.0, though. Maybe this should be taken
to the GHC mailing list, as it's a general problem ...

Best,
  Andres