[darcs-users] feature suggestions: whatsnew for local/remote comparison

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Aug 1 12:42:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 05:08:15PM -0700, John Meacham wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:22:01AM -0700, Zack Brown wrote:
> > Just as we can do a 'darcs whatsnew' to see what we haven't 'recorded' yet,
> > it would be cool to do something similar to see if a remote maintainer has
> > applied something we've 'pushed' to their repository yet.
> >
> > The feature I'm thinking of would be like a 'diff', but instead of being
> > between different versions, it would be between one repo and another.
> > Additionally, modifications made locally would display differently from
> > modifications made remotely; and the user could give an option to
> > suppress displaying one or the other.
>
> yes. I want something like this. what I was thinking was something like:
>
> darcs compare <repo1> <repo2> (where repos can be local or remote and if
> only one is given, the other is assumed to be .)
>
> what it will do is show:
> <repo1> has the following patches <repo2> doesn't:
> patch1         (just patch names)
> patch2 ...
> <repo2> has the following patches <repo1> doesn't:
> patchA
> patchB ...

This much would be easy... (and until I implement it, you can get the same
info in an inelegant way by doing a darcs pull -v and just hitting ctrl-C
after seeing the listing).

> repo1 has the following local changes:
> (darcs whatsnew output for repo1)
> repo2 has the following local changes:
> (darcs whatsnew output for repo2)

This would be tough.  It is doable, but would require a lot of code,
because I don't have any access routines for reading the current contents
of a remote repository.  It's harder than local, because for the local repo
I can use the directory listings of _darcs/current to see what files are in
the repository at the moment.

In any case, I'm leaving for vacation on Monday (for a couple of weeks), so
this'll not get done until after then.  Before then I'd like to track down
some of the lingering scaling issues with large repos, and find an annoying
bug I triggered at work yesterday.  :(  Particularly annoying, since I
discovered the existence of a darcs bug after spending hours trying to find
work bugs.
http://www.abridgegame.org