[darcs-users] patch filenames

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Aug 4 23:57:40 UTC 2003

does anyone else find the current scheme for naming patch files a bit
unwieldy? AFAICT it doesn't matter much what we name them (as long as
they are unique) since the patch name is stored internally. I was
thinking of

yyyymmdd-hhmmss-email at foo.net:patchname  (hhmmss are in GMT)

this has a number of advantages, lexical sorting is also time sorting.
simple glob patterns can be used to pull out useful info (like the patch
name always is everything after the first ':'
zsh people can do things like
<20030100-20030115>-* to match all patches in the first half of
january...

that and I think they will be a lot more readable in a list.

in any case, switching the current date embedding to something like the
above will be a big improvement.

It also might be a good idea to switch to some standard quoting scheme
for the patchname, I am thinking QP or URL-style or halfbakery style.
        John