[darcs-users] Binary patches

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Fri Dec 5 07:58:01 UTC 2003

I have read the manual, and looked at the source code, and looked at a
binary patch or two, and it seems that a binary patch performs a
complete file replacement, rather than attempting any kind of binary diff.

That seems very reasonable at this point, so I'm not complaining! I just
want to confirm my understanding.

A brief clarification (or two) in the manual might also help. At least
in the section that describes the patch representation formats. Probably
also where the binaries file is described.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. yarcs is able to successfully 'check' the first 657 of the 900+
patches in the darcs repository. That covers up through 0.9.12 (August).
Patch 658 is the first binary file patch :-)

Also, the yarcs repo has moved, so if you're interested in following it
please email me off-list. It will move again, so I don't want to publish
the current URL.