[darcs-users] pristine trees

Mirian Crzig Lennox list-darcs-users at cosmic.com
Fri Dec 5 16:42:20 UTC 2003

Hello again,

I wonder if any thought has been given to the idea of implementing
what in arch are called 'pristine trees'.  I bring it up mostly
because I've been sitting here for nearly an hour waiting for "darcs
get --verbose http://abridgegame.org/repos/darcs" to finish lovingly
handcrafting a source tree from first principles.  Even on my
admittedly behind-the-curve 400MHz AMD K6, this seems a bit excessive.

A quick and dirty way around this problem without modifying DARCS in
any way is simply to make available a tarball of a recently-gotten
darcs tree (i.e. with the _darcs directory intact).  A user could
simply unpack this and then "darcs pull" to go the final bit to get
fully up to date.  Even a week-old snapshot available would have kept
my sync-up time under five minutes (at least a twelvefold reduction!).

The better solution of course would be for DARCS to handle the above
steps seamlessly, as part of the 'darcs get' procedure, but that of
course involves code. :)

As always, my apologies if this actually exists and I was simply
unaware of it.

cheers,
Mirian