[darcs-users] darcs on MS Windows (was: internal error)

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sat Dec 6 16:59:33 UTC 2003

David Roundy wrote:
> To use ssh or scp, you'd need ssh installed (but I doubt anyone would want
> to use ssh who doesn't already have it).

Makes sense. That affects parts of push and push-and-apply, right?
Anything else?

> .zip is already in binary.  I don't know what .class and .jar files are.
> If they are like .o files in C, then I'll add them to boring, but they are
> something you might actually want in the repo, I'll add them to binary.

.class files are the Java equivalent of .o files. I can imagine a
project wanting to check in some .class files, but it should be rare. So
I think boring is the right choice.

.jar files are something like a .so or .lib file. They are generally a
collection of .class files plus other stuff, such as resources. Projects
would often want to check in third-party jars, so these should probably
be binary instead of boring.

> Currently darcs looks at the file contents during the record to guess if it
> is binary, so there shouldn't be a problem (the slowness you saw when you
> added large binary files was almost certainly because of the very poor
> binary to hex conversion darcs had (until very recently).

I guess I'm still bothered that the default behavior will (always) be to
add some files that I probably don't want added.

Perhaps in some future version, darcs could have a list of file types
that should be individually confirmed before being added. That way, you
could still do a recursive add on a new project, but would be likely to
end up with the results that you really wanted.

I have been hoping to upgrade to a newer darcs for a while, but keep
getting spooked by reports of new problems, so I have been waiting for
the real 0.9.15 release. Now I'm very interested to experiment with its
new binary detection behavior.

I'm not sure exactly which darcs pre-release Gour built the Windows
version from.

Kevin