[darcs-users] pristine trees

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sat Dec 6 19:20:20 UTC 2003

David Roundy wrote:
> Well, the first whatsnew will always be slower than the second, since the
> first whatsnew has to read every file to see if its contents have changed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "first" here. In this case, I did
inittree, add recursive, whatsnew. There is nothing to compare against,
because everything is new. The contents _have_ changed. I don't see how
the --ignore-times flag would affect anything in this case.

I can try to reproduce it in a form that I can share with you, if you
have trouble seeing anything similar. I had about 3 megs of html and
text files, One directory has about 10 text files in the 100k - 200k range.

> Ironing out the efficency issues is something I'd like to get done, and
> having yarcs to compare with sound very nice,

That would be a nice side benefit of having yarcs around. Generally I'm
not too concerned about speed, but when something is 100x slower I start
to notice :-)

>>I'd like to tell you how long a get from abridgegame takes on my
>>machine, but right now the network and/or server seems to be the
>>bottleneck. I'm showing 0% CPU and 0% network for *long* stretches of
>>time while the verbose get is just sitting there waiting. At this rate,
>>I'll be thrilled if it only takes an hour :-(

My get finally finished:
real    122m5.161s
user    5m8.390s
sys     0m55.820s

I know it didn't take that long when I did one or more of the same gets
a month ago. I remember thinking it was zipping along quite nicely.

> Hmmmm.  Is your darcs compiled using libcurl? It sounds sort of like a
> timeout problem of some sort, which libcurl would be more resisant to,
> since it reuses a single connection.

I suspect it is not using libcurl, but don't know how to know for sure.
When I ldd darcs, it does not list libcurl as a dependency.

Kevin