[darcs-users] dir tree rearrangement problems

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Fri Dec 12 13:28:31 UTC 2003

I'm using a 0.9.15-pre darcs, built before David's 'trailing newline' changes.
A couple of days ago, I branched to a new repo and made some changes in the
directory structure.

Initially (irrelevant dirs omitted):
proj/
proj/_darcs/
proj/src/

and the change was (pasting from the relevant darcs patch file, names
changed):

adddir ./src/new_dir
adddir ./src/old_dir
move ./src/a.c ./src/old_dir/a.c
[30 more lines, moving the files in ./src/ to old_dir]
addfile ./src/new_dir/whatever.h
addfile ./src/new_dir/whatever.c
addfile ./src/new_dir/main.aap
[hunks for the 3 new files]

So, after some more hacking, I run 'darcs whatsnew -u | gview -' and got some
really strange results (whatsnew thinking all the proj/src/ files (that I had
moved in proj/old_dir/ in the previously recorded patch) have been removed).
I tried getting the repo and all the moves have indeed failed (proj/src/
old_dir is empty), although the patch is still in _darcs/patches and is the
last patch mentioned in _darcs/inventory. I just built a new darcs binary
from the current source, but get still won't give me the expected tree.

Did I do something horribly wrong before/when recording the patch?

Is this a known bug (ISTR some bugfixes that could be relevant but I can't be
sure I've just been bitten by an old bug)?

Is there a straightforward way to recover?

Thanks,
Aggelos