[darcs-users] dir tree rearrangement problems

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Fri Dec 12 14:48:20 UTC 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 15:57, David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:28:31PM +0200, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:

[...]

> > Is there a straightforward way to recover?
>
> Well, I'm not sure what's wrong, so there are a couple of routes that may
> work (and make a backup before trying any of them).  It is possible that
> only _darcs/current is corrupted, in which case the new repair command
> should work.  I think this is actually the most likely situation, as it
> sounds like the actual patches in your repo are valid.

OK, so I untarred the tarball of the problematic repo and tried running
repair, which complained that:

This repository needs to be converted.

darcs failed:  Please run convert-repo.

which seems expected (the version of darcs I was working with didn't know
about is_converted nor did it have the trailing newline stuff). So, I ran
convert-repo (built from current sources) which output a bunch of "Already
have ..." lines, followed by

Fixing current...

(I see this is actually a message from Repair). In any case, _darcs/current
now is correct and whatsnew shows the real changes in the working copy (at
least I think it does; I haven't looked very carefully yet).

Any way I can help you find out how the corruption was introduced in the repo
so I'll be less worried when moving files in the future? I think I still have
the source tree for the old darcs binary around somewhere, would this help
you make sure that whatever the bug was, it's already fixed?

Aggelos