[darcs-users] Eclipse integration, refactoring, and combinato rial explosion?

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Fri Dec 12 16:29:57 UTC 2003

David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 04:05:35PM +0100, Marnix Klooster wrote:
>>So this really is language-dependent, and not simple search-and-replace.
>
> Yes, but it can at least be approximated by a set of existing darcs
> patches.

(snip)

Yes. It can already be approximated with hunk patches, and perhaps more
closely with replace patches. However, the example given is one of the
simpler cases to work around.

Consider the case of renaming a member method from "start" to "begin",
where it is called from twenty files, and there are several other
classes with both "begin" and "start" methods, both defined in and
called from those same twenty files.

As far as I can tell, replace cannot help with this. Even if we did
decide to use it, any overlapping replace patches from other branches
would be more likely to be wrong than right.

Now, darcs is already no worse than any other RCS in this case. So we're
not trying to "fix" it. We're just trying to figure out if there is some
way that darcs can jump from being a next-generation RCS to being the
first next-next generation of RCS, leaving all the others way back in
the dust :-)

I still stand by my claim that the replace patch is more often dangerous
than helpful, by the way.

Kevin