[darcs-users] docs only release?

David Roundy droundy at jdj5.mit.edu
Thu Jul 3 20:30:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:58:59PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> David, how about making a release archive with only the documentation
> in it? So that users, who don't have LaTeX and friends, still get the
> manual installed?
>
> One could also just include them in the current archive, but that
> would make the tar.gz quite a bit bigger, I guess.
>
> What do you think?

Hmmmm.  Well, people without a latex installation could use the copy of the
docs which is available on the web... I have links to both the html and ps
version of the docs.  One problem with this is that the version available
tends to be something like the latest (unreleased) version.  I know that
this confused one user when he read about a command and then couldn't use
it.

Having taken another look, the html and ps together only add up to 161k
when gzipped (about the same as the current tarball) so it would only
double the size.  That wouldn't seem too bad.  Just including the html
drops the cost down to 53k, which seems quite reasonable to me.

I could go either way actually.  It would also be nice to have the docs on
the website correspond to the released version... or if they differ, I
should at least remember to change the version number in the docs so people
can see that they've been changed.
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/