[darcs-users] Re: windows

Peter Strand d98peter at dtek.chalmers.se
Mon Jul 7 19:37:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 08:52:56PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:

> Another problem is that file formats might depend on the end-of-line
> marker. RFC messages (e-mail, etc.), for example, _must_ use '\r\n'.
> Any conversion would "destroy" the file's integrity.

How do we know when the '\r\n' is intentional (your example) or
just accidental (windows editor created the file)?
As cvs, and marking sensitive files as binary (or a non-convert text-format)?

Having a single, well-defined, form for the repository (patches, inventory, ..)
might be a good idea to avoid ambiguities (or let the repository define which
format it is in).

But I do think that the possibility to convert "user-files" should exist.

As a unix user, I wouldn't like '\r':s in source files checked in by windows
users...

/Peter