[darcs-users] retroactive tagging

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Jul 20 17:21:19 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 01:05:42PM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> There's no direct interface for tagging an old version, but what I'd do is
> run a darcs get --patch-name 'first patch name', then unpull the first
> patch, run darcs tag and either push or pull the tag patch into the main
> repo.
>
> Actually, an even easier way (which will only work for the empty repo--the
> above method can be applied to any retroactive tagging) you could even just
> create an initial directory and tag it.

It's occurred to me that neither of these methods is exactly equivalent to
a retroactive tagging, since any tags already in the repo won't include the
original tag.  This probably wouldn't be a problem, but if you did a `darcs
get -t '0.1.0'` it wouldn't pull the '0.0.0' tag that you added after the
0.1.0 tag.  If you really wanted to, you could rectify that by redefining
all the tags in order.  Probably not worth the trouble...
http://www.abridgegame.org