[darcs-users] multi-user behavior

Zack Brown zbrown at tumblerings.org
Sat Jul 26 02:05:36 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to get a feel for how darcs behaves when multiple people work
with it.

I have a main tree tst/ containing a project. I also created tst2/. From
tst2/ I did a 'darcs get ../tst'. This gave me a tst2/tst directory with
the current version of the project.

In tst/ I added some new files and removed some others, and did a 'darcs
record'. This worked fine. But from tst2/tst when I did a 'darcs pull
../tst', it removed the proper files from the archive, but didn't delete
them from the directory.

My question is, why not? assuming tst2/ is owned by someone else, how
are they to know that a file is or is not in the repository? To be
absolutely sure, they would have to do something like check
_darcs/current each time they wanted to edit a file.

It seems like a 'pull' command should default to deleting files from the
filesystem, once they've been removed from the repository. *But* if the
user has made edits to a file on their local repository, then a 'pull'
that tries to remove that file should produce a conflict, I would
imagine.

No?

Be well,
Zack