[darcs-users] documentation suggestion

David Roundy droundy at jdj5.mit.edu
Mon Jul 28 11:38:16 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:55:22AM -0700, Zack Brown wrote:

> I'm trying to compile darcs, but I haven't met all of the dependencies on
> my system yet, so the compile keeps failing with errors. However, getting
> back to a clean tree to make another attemptis also difficult:
>
> 10:45:28 [zbrown] ~/site/tmp/darcs/darcs$ make clean
> GNUmakefile:150: .depend: No such file or directory
> Rebuild dependencies ...
> ArgumentDefaults.lhs: can't locate import `System.Console.GetOpt'
> make: *** [.depend] Error 1
> 10:45:31 [zbrown] ~/site/tmp/darcs/darcs$

Hmmmm.  What version of ghc are you running? It looks like your ghc is too
old and doesn't have the System.Console.GetOpt.  You could try replacing it
(in ArgumentDefaults.lhs and DarcsCommands.lhs) with just plain "import
GetOpt", which is an older version of the library (and I believe
deprecated).  If you're using ghc 5.04.2, and this is the only problem,
I'll just go back to using plain GetOpt everywhere...

The problem here (with the make clean) is that the makefile tries to
calculate the dependencies using ghc, and if that fails, things look ugly.

> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe a Quickstart file in the sources
> would be good. It could describe the dependencies and the basic commands to
> get darcs compiled.

I've added a "Building darcs" section to the manual to give this sort of
information.
http://www.abridgegame.org