[darcs-users] multi-user behavior

David Roundy droundy at jdj5.mit.edu
Mon Jul 28 14:46:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:27:13AM -0400, Zooko wrote:
> > I think every project has trouble with their release schedule. Have you
> > thought of copying the Linux numbering scheme, so x.even.y would all
> > tend toward stability?

It is my intention to do so, but when I have an even release (the first
will be 1.0) I intend for it to mean that not only is it stable in terms of
not crashing, but also stable in terms of patch types, so that the whole
1.0.x series will not introduce the creation of any patch types that aren't
supported by 1.0.0 (so that a user using 1.0.0 can interoperate with one
using 1.0.9 without any problems).  So that means 1.0 is a ways off, as I'm
haven't gone through even a couple of releases without adding a patch type
(most recent was the setpref patch).

> Can't I ask darcs to give me all of David's patches that he marked as
> bugfixes, while omitting all patches that he marked as improvements?  ;-)

That's a good idea.  I'll just have to prefix all patch names with
something like "bugfix:" and then you can pretty easily do that.  However,
I will have to add a flag to pull to *not* pull dependencies, otherwise
you'd end up pulling the new improvements just to get the bugfixes to those
new improvements! I think this is definitely a feature worth adding
(especially since it's so easy).  And I'll try to always prepend bug fixing
patch names with bugfix:

However, I still need to release reasonably stable tarballs reasonably
often, since that's what people who install binary packages will get.
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/