[darcs-users] add/record time

Trevor Talbot quension at mac.com
Thu Jul 31 02:15:57 UTC 2003

On Monday, Jul 28, 2003, at 03:48 US/Pacific, David Roundy wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 07:29:47PM -0700, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>> On Sunday, Jul 27, 2003, at 17:43 US/Pacific, David Roundy wrote:
>>
>>> There may be more than one slowdown.  I've found an O(n^2) function
>>> in pull, which is the part where it checks for conflicts in the
>>> merge, which is currently an O(n^2) process (but needn't be, except
>>> when there are lots of conflicts--and then it would be O(nm) where m
>>> is # of conflicts and n is number of patches).

> In my test case (which is smaller than yours, so I won't have to wait
> as long, and thus closer to the usual situation), the resolution fix
> (which is now available) sped up my test pull from 2m30s to 1m40s,
> which is quite a nice improvement!
>
> I'd like to hear if you still have problems after this patch, since it
> looks from the profiler like there are no slupid slowdowns
> remaining... all the time seems to be spent where it ought to be.  If
> you still have trouble I may need to test with a larger patch, as
> there may be an O(n^2) bit of code with a tiny prefactor that I can't
> see with my moderate-sized patch.

I was going to post when it finished, but it's been about 54 hours and
it hasn't finished yet, so :)  I may need to abort it at some point,
but I'll let it finish if I can.  If you want to use this as a test
case, a bzipped pax/cpio archive of the two repositories is 33MB, and
expands to around 200MB.