[darcs-users] How to figure out, which files aren't added yet?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu May 8 18:05:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:06:30PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:

> there is one feature I like very much about CVS and which I'd like to
> have in darcs as well. :-) When you do a "cvs update", CVS will list
> all files it doesn't know about with a preceding "?". This is very
> useful when you have a large file tree you'd like to add to the darcs
> repository, but you don't want to add _all_ of them.
>
> So what I'd like to do is to add the files I can think of, then do
> "darcs update" (or whatever it should be called) and get a list of all
> files that aren't accounted for yet, so that I can add them -- or
> ignore them.
>
> It's also a useful feature when you add lots of files into an existing
> repository and want to make sure that all of them are added.

Well, a crude trick to do something like what you want is to use the bash
(or zsh) command completion: just type 'darcs add ' and then hit tab a
couple of times and you'll see a list of all the files that haven't yet
been added to the repo.  If you don't have bash completion set up, then you
could use 'darcs add --list-option', which is what the command completion
code uses to figure out completion options.
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/