[darcs-users] Secure access to remote repositories

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Mon May 19 17:09:24 UTC 2003

At the moment I use darcs mainly to maintain non-public repositories,
such as the system's configuration files etc. This means, though, that
accessing remote repositories via HTTP is not suitable, because the
stuff I keep in the repository is _private_.

I can work around this problem by rsync(1)ing the repositories back
and forth, but it would be really nice if there'd be a better way to
access a remote repository in a secure manner.

IMHO CVS's rsh/ssh-based approach is very good in this case and I
would love to see darcs being able to work in a similar setup. (I
guess that I could use HTTPS rather than HTTP to archive security, but
this would mean I'd have to set up a completely new web server on my
machine.)

Peter