[darcs-users] Re: push mail error?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon May 19 20:59:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:53:20PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> David Roundy writes:
>
> > Currently you could get this effect by using --target
> > "darcs-users at abridgegame.org youremailaddresss" which I believe
> > will send to both email addresses.
>
> The 'push' command does not seem to support '--target':

Ah yes.  I meant --email, which is internally called Target (thus the
confusion--this is to distinguish it from your own email address).

> Oh, and while looking for options that support '--target', I also
> noticed that 'get' produces broken output when called with
> '--list-options'; so completion doesn't work for it either.

Actually what is happening is that you must have tried running 'darcs get
--list-options' while in a repository, and darcs currently refuses to run a
get command while in a repository, which ends up resulting in it not even
running darcs get --help in a repo (which it really should)--although it
does show the help info.

> > If you want to experiment, you can also try pushing to
> > ag.o/r/darcs-test [...]
>
> Did so and it works fine now (as far as I can tell). One more thing: I
> noticed that you let sendmail determine the correct From: address for
> the outgoing e-mail. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the address
> given in $EMAIL here? On some systems, the MTA does not know how to
> create correct addresses, unfortunately, so this trouble could be
> avoided ...

Hmmm.  That's a reasonable suggestion.  The only problem is that if I use
the $EMAIL, I'd like to allow the user to override it with an --email flag,
which is already taken for the target email address!  :( I suppose I can
rename the target --email flag to --target or --destination or
something... any other suggestions? btw this is also important to allow for
consitency in behavior if the user specifies (using the newly implemented
mostly untested feature) a default --email value for all commands, that
value should only refer to their own email, not the destination email.

> Also, I "vote" to leave the "User-Agent:" header out from the e-mail,
> just because it does IMHO not serve any purpose. :-)

I put it in there thinking that if darcs has bugs (or foolish users) who
accidentally send a bunch of email to people it might help them track down
the source.  On the other hand, maybe I don't want anyone to know it was my
fault... if I don't get any other votes I'll take it out.
http://www.abridgegame.org