[darcs-users] announcing 0.9.14

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Nov 10 12:59:11 UTC 2003

I've just released darcs 0.9.14.  Yet again, it has numerous improvements,
probably more than I should cram into one release...

The most visible improvement is the rewritten user interface.  Be sure to
hit '?' and see the new options (they are no longer all indicated in the
[Ynw?]  brackets).  You can now go back and change the answers to previous
questions when doing an interactive record.

The biggest change is perhaps that I've started the transition to a new
repository format, which uses a SHA1 hash to form the filenames for the
patches.  The transition will take two more releases.  Darcs 0.9.14 creates
both patch filenames (if possible, using a hard link), but reads the old
filename.  The next release will create both filenames, but will read the
new one.  After that, we will be able to phase out the old filename.  In
case you didn't follow all that, the point is that you will be able to use
any two consecutive releases of darcs together.

Other changes include a new unrevert command, automatic detection of binary
files that contain '\0' or ^Z, a --summary option for whatsnew, darcs can
now be called in subdirectories of a repository, and miscellaneous
bugfixes.

For those who might be wondering what rhyme or reason there is to my
release schedule, it goes as follows.  On my main devel machine at work, I
always run the released version of darcs.  When darcs improves to the point
that I'm annoyed at the fact that I'm running an old version, I know it's
time to make a release.  In this case it was the old interface that annoyed
me.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs