[darcs-users] 403 on get

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Nov 11 12:09:05 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:29:07AM +0200, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since my post-0.9.13 (but pre-0.9.14) darcs seemed to have a bug that
> caused it to consume huge amounts of memory during normal operation
> (note: I'm not certain it's due to darcs; there have been many other
> changes in the system, including a couple of installworlds), I downloaded
> the latest darcs tarball (0.9.13 at the time). Using the newly compiled
> binary, I tried to get David's repo. The first two 'darcs get's failed
> with an error in libcurl (I only have

Hmmmm.  If you can reproduce this bad-memory situation, I'd be very
interested...

> Now, given that my disk has been misbehaving lately, I didn't think it had
> anything to do with darcs, but just to make sure, i did a cat on the file:

> <TITLE>403 Forbidden</TITLE>

> I'm not sure what other info I should provide; let me know if there's
> anything I can do to be of more help. I'll move to 0.9.14 as soon as I
> can, but since I haven't seen any bug reports about this last error, I
> thought I'd report it (seems like a server misconfiguration?).

That's enough.  The patch files weren't marked world readable.  It's
because when (post-0.9.14, fortunately I had the sense to wait on this) I
rewrote my patch (and other) file-writing to use atomic writes, I
accidentally messed up the permissions by using mkstemp to create the file.

The permissions are fixed now, so you can try getting again.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org