[darcs-users] diff preferences? whatsnew format?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Nov 11 13:04:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:30:13PM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Hi,

Hello!

> is there a preference for diff?
> I'm used to the "diff -udrNPp" format as used on linux-kernel.

You can use

darcs diff -- -udp

which probably does what you want (I didn't see the -P option in the diff
manpage).  The flags are -rN by default.

Alas, there isn't any way to add this to _darcs/prefs/defaults, since it
relies on a getopt trick (the -- above) to keep the -udp from being
processed as darcs flags.  So I just added an option to diff so you can use

darcs diff --diff-opts -udp

which means that you can add to _darcs/prefs/defaults a line:

diff diff-opts -udp

which will make this the default.  However, diff-opts is only available in
the latest darcs (and won't even be there for another hour or so, since the
new code will have to pass tests, etc), since I just added it.

> Also I wonder, is there any reason for the "darcs whatsnew" format?

Yeah, it's easy.  There's no context because it doesn't make sense to store
context in darcs patches--it's just a waste of space.  I just haven't
bothered to make an output format that is distinct from the darcs patch
format.

> Sure, darcs needs it's own format, because it has additional
> information like moved/renamed/... but couldn't it be more
> like "diff -udrNPp"? I'm used to that :-)

Context would definitely be a nice addition.  Also, most people don't want
to see the entire contents of each file they add or remove... but since
darcs diff exists (and I personally have obviously become very accustomed
to the darcs patch format), improving the output of whatsnew (which would
also improve the interactive output of record, etc) is relatively low
priority.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org