[darcs-users] MinGW compile problem

Peter Strand d98peter at dtek.chalmers.se
Fri Nov 14 14:34:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:09:17AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On zlib_helper.c there's more trouble.  The problem here is that I use
> pthreads to do the writing to disk while reading from the other end of a
> pipe that is written to by haskell.  I can see a couple of solutions.  One
> is to link with the pthreads-win32 library:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/
>
> That would definitely be easiest from the darcs side, but maybe a pain for
> the person who's trying to compile darcs.

Much less painful than the call to fork(1) you used to have there ;)
It seems to work directly with pthreads-win32, with a slight modification
to the openFd call in Zlib.lhs (Just RegularFile instead of Nothing, if I
remember correctly, I don't know why it is necessary..)

I think there's one issue with temporary files which are removed before
they are closed as well, but I can't verify it until later today.

Other than that, it works for me under windows, at least the basic
functionality.

I'll try out the win32-threads code as well..

/Peter