[darcs-users] MinGW running problems

Peter Strand d98peter at dtek.chalmers.se
Sun Nov 16 20:35:10 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:31:21PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> This has the unfortunate result that it makes repository writes non-atomic
> (if you lose power between the removeFile and the renameFile, your repo is
> hosed).

Might be better to wrap the win32-function MoveFileEx, which can be made
to make the right thing, and use that as renameFile..

(I'm testing this right now..)

> I would say that renameFile is very broken on released win32 ghc if it
> doesn't support renaming to an existing file.

It inherits that behaviour from the rename call in the C-library, but
should be fixed in cvs.

> It might be a good idea to start switching to autoconf-style tests rather
> than "#if __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ < 600" for dealing with ghc bugs and old
> library versions.

Sounds good, explicit version and platform tests have a tendency to break
down after a while. Better to start test for specific features.

/Peter