[darcs-users] More questions about the code

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Nov 17 14:15:04 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 09:43:12PM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Can you briefly describe what co_slurp does? What does the "co" stand for?

The "co" is the prefix meaning "together".  Really it should be coslurp
rather than co_slurp, linguistically.  It does a slurp without reading any
directories, but instead looking for files and directories having the same
names as those in another slurpy.  This gives massive speed enhancements
for whatsnew in particular, if there are many many files in the working
directory that are not version controlled.  I had friends who had whatsnew
taking more than four minutes, because all the output of their code was in
the working directory (and that was many many megabytes of small files).

> Also, addfile patches are always created with a ./ before the actual
> filename. Is that important, or just an accidental side effect of the
> implementation?

Mostly a side effect, I'd say.  It allows me to treat the root directory as
"just another directory" as far as slurpies are concerned.  Currently every
patch type should have its filenames (or directory names) start with ./.
That may change, if I choose to add support for separate namespaces for
different sets of files.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org